Create a TIN Surface in Civil 3D from Contour Lines
If you have contour data saved as a drawing file and has x, y, and z coordinates attached to each contour line, the process to create a TIN surface has only a couple steps. These steps are outlined below:
- Open Civil 3D
- File > Open > navigate to downloads folder, then select Contour.dwg. Click Open
- Zoom extents by typing Z+enter and E+enter
- Go to the Prospector Tab and select Surface > Create Surface
- The Create Surface dialog box will appear. Give the surface a name and click Okay
- In the Prospector Tab, click on Surfaces and select the surface you just created. Select Definitions > Contours > Add.
- The Add Contour Data dialog box will appear. Add a description, click okay, then select all the contours.
- Your newly created surface will appear.
Creating a surface in AutoCAD Civil 3D